Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Heart, Soul & Poetry in Belleville

Isn’t it funny when a girl wants to shop there are no language barriers.

My new favourite shoe shop Henry Achkoyan Paris made shopping an absolute pleasure.  I didn’t only buy one pair of shoes but two!

Almost everyday, since I arrived in Paris, I walk past Henry Achkoyan shoe shop.  From the very first day I peered in the window, a purple pair of patent leather shoes leapt out at me!  However they were the only pair in the window without a price tag.  It made me a little nervous to enter.  Was it a ploy?  Did they know that this is the pair of shoes that would draw in the customers, or was it just an oversight?

Temptation got the better of me today and I couldn’t resist.  The tiny boutique with plush velvet seating was not as intimidating as it appeared it may be, all due to the lovely Jenni.  


With my little French and her little English, we still managed to communicate very well and she made the whole experience fun and pleasurable.  She didn’t have a purple pair in my size but will have them, next week and will call me.

So I happily went home with a black pair until the purple ones arrive.

Henry Achkoyan Shoes

As a result of Jim Hayne's Dinner last night, I received a call from a newly made friend who invited me out for a poetry night, come on down, he said, it will be fun and it is in English tonight.


Armed with what could have been obscure instructions; get out at the Belleville Metro, walk up the hill, and continue walking until you see a big sign on the wall with men hanging off it.  It is just near there.  OK - I did walk up a hill and started to asked myself, why didn't I ask the name of the bar or something clearer.


Sure enough, after walking up the hill from Belleville Metro stop on Rue de Belleville rather than down the hill I came across a giant sign on the side of a building with what appeared to be two men in the process of installing the sign; an installation.  There was the bar, when I looked through the window, JD was sitting inside.  Too easy!






He assured me more people will arrive shortly, including some friends of his who write, act, etc.


The small bar was buzzing by the time I sat down and ordered a drink and by the time JD's friends had arrived, I started to wonder how many more people could squeeze into this lovely eclectic space.


Many more.






Anita, a New Yorker, well traveled, writer, therapist, teacher, actor, you name it and all round amazing woman and I connected minutes after she sat down.  To begin with we shared stories of missing luggage. This was just the beginning of many unfinished and animated stories between the two of us.  


Both Anita and I loved the lighting!


Then the night began to unfold.  Anita, displayed her writing skills coupled with her acting skills and wooed the crowd.   Later her friend Georgia, an American who has been living in Paris for the past six years, unhappy with the way her country and government has turned out, expressed her views through prose.   A young Australian man, who arrived in Paris six weeks ago, also part of our group, shared his soul and pain through lyrics he had recently written.  One outstanding young lady, who I think, if there was a prize, she should have won it.  Delivered, without notes, a moving and emotional piece which brought the small crammed packed cafe down.  






As more and more people squeezed into the cafe, of which I overheard the organiser say they only had a small crowd tonight, the audience who were also the participants, continued to  entertain.


An english lady, who I also had the pleasure of meeting and who earlier in the day, had a job interview with Givenchy, expressed with excitement; we normally would have to pay to see and hear such talent.


Tonight for free, I witnessed not only a captivated audience but a talented group of people, sharing their stories, their hearts and their souls through song or verse. 


Perhaps the new stars, the literary movement of Paris or the World of today.










Shoes and chocolate, now that is a good mixture but shoes made from chocolate?  There is a wonderful little shop around the corner from Place des Voges where I spotted this window.

Shoes made from chocolate!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home