Friday, January 21, 2011

Shopping, Food & Art in Paris

Late nights in Paris are fun and since meeting people, especially Georgie, the way I do things and the things I do, have changed, since I first arrived in Paris.

However, I do get pangs of guilt for not being out and about, taking photos and seeing museums.

Today I decided to head over to the 7th arrondissement and snap some pics.  In particular I wanted to photograph the beautiful and ornate bridge, Pont Alexandre III.

From the moment I got out of the metro it was raining but I was determined.  As the rain got heavier, I caved.

Photography will have to wait – but now what to do.  What does a girl do when she is out and now, has to randomly think of what to do, no plan?

Are you crazy the sales on are – what to do indeed – there is nothing else but to shop!

The sales are amazing, the prices ridiculous, but I don’t have any room in my already full suitcase.  Maybe just a couple of items then!

A toilet break and a coffee was in order. 

Argh; what a wonderful thing to learn.  I want a coffee with milk, but not a black coffee with cold milk, I want, essentially, what an Aussie would call; a flat white.  A white coffee without the froth – café crème sans mousse.

As I sipped my café crème sans mousse,  I returned Georgie's phone call to let her know my plans were disrupted by rain and I headed out without an umbrella.

Georgies Tip # 2:

If you find yourself out and about in the rain without an umbrella, here is what to do.

Go to a nice looking restaurant, walk in with confidence and explain, you are sorry but the other night you left your black (more common) umbrella in their restaurant.  They will promptly bring out a swag of lost umbrellas that they are dying to offload, grab one of them and exclaim – Oui! That is it – look excited – well you will be – you just scored a new umbrella!

Shop, I did and bargains were had.

Seeing I was near rue Vieille de Temple, (vee – ay – d – temp), I decided to slip in for a hello, show Bouba my purchases and head home. 

One of my purchases was a belt and I stupidly, didn’t try it on for size.  The manager at l’Etoile Manquante suggested I go to a place down the road to have it altered.  By the time I reached it, he was closed, I tried the door and it was open.  


Venturing inside, I asked if he is closed, of course he says, pourquoi, why?  I pull out my belt and explained, I can leave it and he can fix it tomorrow.  No – he turned the lights back on, he adjusted it there and then,  and would not take any money from me.

Feeling elated and once again, touched by the kindness of strangers, I called Georgie.  I wanted to introduce her to my favourite historic bar and café Au Petit fer a Cheval.

She agreed and we were soon seated, eating, drinking and talking.  Later we moved to the bar – where I introduced her to Hussein.   Georgie has been itching to talk politics and in particular Tunisian politics.  Well, it just so happens, Hussein has Tunisian background and the conversation was way too fast for me to understand but the excitement and animation from the two of them was a pleasure to witness.






Over the road is a fabulous place that sells a great combination, wine and books.  La Belle Hortense



They were having a small art exhibition by Serge Renou a wonderful man and artist.  He invited me for a glass of champagne and a look.  There the night zoomed along with him and his friends patiently trying to understand my French – backed up with their English.

Another randomly wonderful night in Paris.


What more do you need?  Shopping, eating, drinking, books, art and good company ... in Paris!








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home