Thursday, December 30, 2010

Moet et Chandon at Galleries La Fayette

The morning started out as usual, breakfast to the sound of seagulls, a call to British Airways call centre in Spain. 

An email arrived, to inform they still can’t find the luggage, fill out the attached form.  No attachment.  I think monkeys are running that company.

After wasting more time talking to someone who has no idea what is going on, I knew my plan to buy clothes must be put into action and I mustn’t come home empty handed.

A girl on a mission, the journey started with my first metro ride since I arrived.

Buskers often hop on and off the metro throughout the day, hand around a cup to collect money and scoot off before the authorities catch them.

One of my first visits to Paris, I listened to an accordion player belt out La Vie en Rose and thought it was wonderful.

Today it was a woman who sang to the background music equipment that was taped to a luggage trolley.

My mind was already made up; I wasn’t going to be guilted into donating to her cause.

As she sings, I notice her greasy hair, the bags under her eyes, perhaps from recent tears, although, she had made an effort to apply pink eye shadow.

I started to wonder what hardships had driven her to do this.

Third song in, she sings Feelings in English.  I am not particularly fond of this soppy song.

The heart on my sleeve has started to fade along with the heart in my chest.

However, this brought up a well of emotions and tears.

With the tears in my eyes and bags under hers we seemed to have some connection

As I disembarked the train - I slipped her 1 EURO.

First stop Printemps on the wonderful Boulevard Hausmann. 



The Christmas windows are still decorated in their finest, with little ramps erected in front to enable the children to get a front row view of the truly fantastic windows.


The awe on the children’s faces was a delight to watch.

And there was something for every member of the family, of course, including the family pooch






I don’t know, why, after countless visits to Paris, I have never visited this store.
Again fighting the crowds to get a glimpse at the windows.



Then I entered, wow – what a sight.



Australia’s department store entrances have perfume and makeup to seduce the shopper.

Primtemps and La Fayette have high end designer brands.  If you can think of it, it is here; Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany’s, Stella McCarthy, Mui Mui, Manolo Blahnik, Chanel to name only and I do mean only, a few.

Although the two department stores are right near one another I can see why La Fayette draws the biggest crowds.






Galleries La Fayette had a 'show time' theme to their windows - even Mamma Mia in French!




Now I finally have some underwear, some jeans and some tops!

There will be some decisions tomorrow wondering what to wear – clean or dirty!

It was time to leave and head home to prepare for my night at the Chatelet Theatre.

Wait, there is more, I blink, was that a Moet et Chandon Champagne Bar.  Well hell yes – one needs a break after all that shopping and what more civilised way to go about it than to stop for a champagne break!






When I decend the last flight of escalators what awaits me?  Pierre Herme’s macaron stand.  Ok I finally give in, let’s see what all the fuss is about. 







Now I understand.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home